Thursday, January 25, 2018
Monday, January 15, 2018
Friday, January 12, 2018
- What do you think the dream that Johnny had about his father and the Sergeant means?
- Though he is beginning to learn about the horrors of war, Johnny is still quite naïve. Find an example of his naïvety in this chapter.
- Johnny notices that, “…. the little knothole in [James’] chest looked bigger and darker.” What might this represent?
- Describe how Johnny’s relationship with his Aunt Ivy has changed since he first arrived in Cliffe.
- Fancied, quavered, tattered, gait, petty, ghastly, dismal, plodded.
- How do you think Dally’s parents and childhood have influenced the way he is now?
- What “other side” of Dally is revealed in this chapter?
- What’s your definition of a hero? Do the three boys prove themselves to be heroes according to your definition? Explain.
- Ponyboy finally realized why Darry had been so hard on him his whole life. What reason did he now give?
· Doggedly, bewilderment, pleading, detached, plasma
- On page 92, why does the author refer to the sun as “cold [and] steely”.
- What does Sam mean when he says, “I could see my new jacket lying in the ferns”?
- What makes Sam think that Frightful is leaving him?
· Boldly, scheme, resented, cavort, indignity.
- What do you think is the “something” that Jonas speaks about in this chapter?
- There is much talk of “precision” of language in the novel. What is missing from the ‘Community’s’ language lessons that would help Jonas in this chapter?
- Why do you think the “Community” removed the ability to see colour from its people?
- How is Jonas’ attitude toward the “Community’s” rules beginning to change?
- Admonition, occupational, fleeting, relinquished, entirety